Care Fee Funding – FAQ’s

If your relative enters care and you believe they have entered due to a primary health need, rather than a social need, then the NHS may be responsible for meeting the full cost of their care.

Please call us on 01536 276300 or use our online enquiry form.

What is Social Care?

Social care is the name given to the range of care and support services that assist elderly people to remain independent, active and safe. It would include things such as washing and preparing meals. This support can be provided in someone’s house, in a community centre or in a care home.

What is NHS Continuing Healthcare?

Health care is determined by a number of assessments undertaken by the NHS. The care needs are assessed across 11 domains. A Multi-Disciplinary Team will them recommend eligible for NHS continuing healthcare based on the nature, intensity, complexity and unpredictability of the care needs.

Is my property taken into account in relation to Care Fees?

Your property will be disregarded from the care funding means test if you enter care but your spouse, a relative over 60 or a dependent adult remain in the property. Otherwise, it is taken into account and you may have to sell the property to pay for care fees.

What about putting my house on trust?

Putting property into trust for your future generations is a complex issue but here at Seatons we can provide you with sound advice to enable you to make the right decisions relating to your property. If the local authority believes the property was placed in trust deliberately, they may still include this in the means test.

I own a house and have £80,000 in savings. What will this mean?

Your assets will put you well above the threshold of £23,000 per person at which help is given with funding care in England. You should request to be assessed under the NHS National Framework and if it is decided that you have a health need, the NHS are liable to meet the cost of care. Even if you are not found eligible, you may be eligible for NHS funding nursing care depending on your care needs.

Who is eligible for Residential Care?

Older adults (65 or over) or adults who have a physical, sensory or learning disability may be eligible for residential care. Before entering residential care, you care needs will be assessed to ascertain the type of care you will require and whether the NHS is liable to meet part, or all, of the costs of care.

What care home should I choose?

The final decision is yours but you should consider carefully whether the home you have chosen best meets all of your needs. In relation to the first impressions do the staff and manager appear welcoming, do other relatives look happy and cared for? You should assess the locations and whether the grounds/gardens are attractive, whether your family will be able to easily visit and whether there are any shops or leisure activities local. The last main aspect to assess is whether the home is able to meet your specific cultural requirements, whether visitors are welcome at any time and whether they have the facilities to meet your care needs.

What happens when I enter care?

Once decided, arrangements should be made to prepare for the move. If you believe the primary reason for entering a care home is due to a health need, then you should request that an NHS continuing healthcare assessment is carried out. Regardless, a care plan should be drawn up detailing all of your needs.

Adam Cresswell

Care Fee Specialists

Hello, I am Adam Cresswell and I am a lawyer who specialises in Residential Care Fees. We aim to provide our clients with an outstanding legal service.

We will help and support you and most importantly we work hard for you.

Please contact us at either our Corby office on 01536 276300 or our Kettering office on 01536 311690 or contact us online.

Seatons Interviewed On BBC Radio About Care Fees

Latest Care Fee Articles

Covid-19 – Open For Business And Safeguarding Our Clients & Staff – Announcement

As we were in the first lockdown, we are 100 percent committed and focused on doing the right things for our clients and our community.

Carer Caught On Camera Slapping A Kettering OAP

Mrs Marsden, a Kettering woman, suffering from dementia has been caught on camera being assaulted by her carer in her own home.

Reclaiming Residential Care Fees

Many of our loved ones have been unlawfully required to pay for their residential care, usually out of hard earned savings or from their last remaining asset (their home) which they wanted to leave to others in their will.

A Different Approach To CHC Assessments

The introduction of the Care Act 2014 can assist families in the continuing fight for NHS funding.

Why Use Seatons?

  • Practical sensible help and information
  • Fixed, competitive and affordable prices
  • We care about you and fight for you
  • Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
  • We can help resolve your issue quickly & easily

Covid19 Information

WE WILL BE OPEN FOR PRE-BOOKED APPOINTMENTS ONLY FROM MONDAY 12TH APRIL 2021. OUR FRONT DOORS WILL REMAIN CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC BUT WILL BE REVIEWED ON THE 17TH MAY 2021 TAKING GOVERNMENT ADVICE. We are happy to communicate with you by E-Mail, Telephone, Post, Video Via Zoom/WhatsApp/Teams/Facetime etc. If you need to drop any papers off at our offices, please use our Post Box. FACE TO FACE MEETINGS WILL ONLY BE AGREED WITH PRIOR ARRANGEMENTS. Please remember to wear a face mask when you visit our offices – it is a mandatory rule for all face to face meetings. FOR MORE INFORMATION CLICK THE BUTTON BELOW.