Has A Relative Been Sectioned?

We work closely with a number of families to ensure their financial situation with paying for care is fair and legal. This page sets out some information about the costs of entering care – many people do not realise how expensive it is.

If you are concerned about care fees, and want to know the legal situation, call me for a no obligation chat on 01536 276300 or use our online enquiry form

Has Your Relative Been Sectioned?

If your relative has previously been sectioned and subsequently entered care (or had to pay for care at home) then the NHS may be liable to provide free after care services as detailed in the Mental Health Act 1983.

If a person has been detained under Section 3 of the Mental Health Act 1983 by being admitted to Hospital and detained against their will then the NHS should be liable to cover any subsequent care fees.

The person is usually admitted to hospital for treatment if they are suffering from a mental disorder of a severity that makes it appropriate for them to receive medical treatment in a Hospital and that treatment is necessary for the health and safety of the person but it cannot be provided unless they are detained (i.e. they are refusing to accept treatment).

After Care Services

If a person is detained the NHS, Local Authority and Social Services should provide free after care services until such time that the authorities are satisfied that the person is no longer in need of such services. This can include the cost of a care setting such as if the person subsequently entered a specialist unit in an EMI or nursing home setting.

Withdrawal Of After Care Services

The NHS, Local Authority and Social Services cannot just withdraw these free aftercare services. However, it is common for the NHS to not even offer these services and if your relative then enters care, to make the relative pay for their care.

What We Can Do

If your relative has been sectioned, and they had to pay for their care, without being told that the after care has been withdrawn, this is illegal and you may have a right to reclaim  any care fees paid. This applies even if your relative has since passed away.

To clarify, many people are not provided with the after care services that the law requires and even those who are find they are withdrawn without any consultation.

Video Information On Care Fees
Welcome To Seatons Solicitors – Corby & Kettering

Latest Podcast About Care Fees

Latest Articles About Residential Care

Seatons And The UK Care Guide Partnership Announced

The UK Care Guide website is designed to support those looking for help and information across a range of care related topics and part of their site helps people looking for advice on NHS CHC Funding, Lasting Power of Attorney or Making a Will.

Carer Caught On Camera Slapping A Kettering OAP

Mrs Marsden, a Kettering woman, suffering from dementia has been caught on camera being assaulted by her carer in her own home.

Reclaiming Residential Care Fees

Many of our loved ones have been unlawfully required to pay for their residential care, usually out of hard earned savings or from their last remaining asset (their home) which they wanted to leave to others in their will.

A Different Approach To CHC Assessments

The introduction of the Care Act 2014 can assist families in the continuing fight for NHS funding.
Generic filters
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in excerpt
Search in comments
Filter by Custom Post Type
Free Guide To Residential Care Fees
Why Use Seatons?
  • Practical sensible help and information
  • Fixed, competitive and affordable prices
  • We care about you and fight for you
  • Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
  • We can help resolve your issue quickly & easily