Planning Permission

When occupying commercial premises in the course of a business, it is possible that you may wish to expand the property or develop the area to improve operations. Should this be the case, local authorities may well demand planning permission prior to building works taking place.

At Seatons, our team of highly trained legal professionals have a wealth of experience in commercial conveyancing and provide clear, easy to understand legal advice at low sensible fees.

For more information, feel free to give us a call on 01536 276300.

When is Planning Permission needed?

Under section 55 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990, planning permission is required for the carrying out of any development of land. This is defined as

‘the carrying out of building, engineering, mining or other operations in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or other land’.

Another way of finding out is by asking the planning officer at the local council. At the most basic level however, major works require planning permission whilst minor works do not.

What are Permitted Development Rights?

Minor changes can be made to a property without the need to apply for planning permission. These are called Permitted Development Rights. In parts of the country permitted development rights are more restricted. Sometimes planning authorities remove permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 Direction.

Use Classes Orders

Property use is an important consideration for both commercial leaseholds and freeholds, as every commercial premise will be designated a certain ‘Use Class’ through which a company can conduct their business. As an example, retail premises will be given a retail ‘Use Class’, whilst restaurants and cafes will be allocated a Use Class to sell food.  When purchasing a property to use in the course of a business, it is vital to ensure that the relevant Use Class has been attached to the premises beforehand. Changing a Use Class for a property can be a time consuming task and requires applying to the local authority for planning permission. The Use Classes are divided into four main groups as follows:

  • Group A: shopping area uses;
  • Group B: other business and industrial uses;
  • Group C: residential uses;
  • Group D: non-residential uses.

These Groups are also sub-divided, as follows:

  • Class A1: shops
  • Class A2: financial and professional services
  • Class A3: restaurants and cafes
  • Class A4: drinking establishments
  • Class A5: hot food takeaways
  • Class B1: business
  • Class B2: general industrial
  • Class B8: storage or distribution
  • Class C3: dwelling houses
  • Class C4: houses in multiple occupation
Article 4 Directions

These are made when the character of an area would be threatened, usually in conservation areas. It serves to restrict Permitted Development rights, which means that a lot of development works are brought into the realms of planning consent. It does not in itself prohibit any action but means that a landowner is required to seek planning consent whereas without the Direction this would not be necessary.

Gemma McKimmie - Seatons Solicitors

Commercial Property Specialists In Corby & Kettering

Hello, I am Gemma McKimmie and I am the Head of Seatons Solicitors Commercial Property Department. We aim to provide our clients with an outstanding legal service.

We will help and support you and most importantly we work hard for you.

Please contact us for a free, no obligation chat at either our Corby office on 01536 276300 or our Kettering office on 01536 311690 or contact us online.

Latest Articles About Commercial Property

Restrictive Covenants Stymie Care Home Plans

Restrictions on the use of land are to be found in title deeds dating back many years – but their antiquity does not necessarily mean they are any less effective.

High Court Ruling Underlines Relentless Demand for Urban Housing

Ever increasing demand for housing in urban areas means local authorities are reluctant to approve developments that entail the loss of even a small number of residential units.

Rights Of The Commercial Tenant

The Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 is an important piece of legislation when it comes to commercial leases as it confers security of tenure on commercial tenants and regulates the manner in which commercial leases can be terminated.
Generic filters
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in excerpt
Search in comments
Filter by Custom Post Type
Why Use Seatons?
  • Practical sensible help and information
  • Fixed, competitive and affordable prices
  • We care about you and fight for you
  • Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
  • We can help resolve your issue quickly & easily