Moving home can be complicated especially if it is your first property. Once a completion date has been confirmed here is a handy checklist to help your move become a little less stressful:-
Contact us today on 01536 276300 or 01536 311690 or use our online enquiry form to discuss buying or selling a property.
Book A Removal Firm
At the start of the removal checklist is to get a removal firm. Try and get a firm recommended from a friend or relative. The British Association of Removers will provide names of reputable companies to help. Get a written quote and check carefully what is included in the total cost. What do their terms and conditions say? Are there any likely extras? Is there an extra charge for insurance cover? When you have chosen a suitable removal company, write to them and get them to confirm the arrangements. Ring them a few days beforehand to check that everything is alright.
Sort Out The Utility Services
The second thing to do on the removal checklist is to book an electrician, plumber, or carpet fitter. These can help remove the cooker and washing machine and reconnect them into your new home. Notify the gas and electricity and telephone companies of the date of your move make sure you read the meters at your old property and well as in your new home.
Redirect Your Mail
Thirdly on the removal checklist get the appropriate forms from the Post Office to arrange the redirection of your mail, ideally for 12 months.
The Post Office usually need some notice for this.
Notifying People Of Your Change Of Address
Within the removal checklist you will need to write to various places and advise them of your change of address. These could include the following:
• Local Council
• Phone Company
• Electricity Company
• Gas Company
• Insurance Companies
• Credit Card Companies
• Premium Bonds Centre
• National Savings Office
• Loan Companies
Things To Do One Week Before Moving
To ensure your move runs smoothly, add the following items to do on your removal checklist;
• Organise a mass sort out of your belongings
• Pack the less essential items
• Organise your packing and labelling system
• Check the removal arrangements
• Check the arrangements for the disposal and collection of keys
• Cancel milk, papers, and outstanding bills
• Remove contents from freezer
• Have a good clean around the home your leaving.
Moving Information – Things To Do A Day Before The Move
This is the last part of the removal checklist.
• Get up early!
• Organise a survival kit (Money, Drinks, Meals, Soap, Towels etc)
• Get everything packed up ready for the removers
• Show removers around the house
• Remove everything from home!
• Final check around home
• Collect and Dispose of keys
• Leave the property secure
• Get everything into your new home
• Collect and dispose of Keys (usually with the estate agents)
• Have a cuppa!
Latest Conveyancing Video
Property Conveyancing Help & Advice
I’m Gemma McKimmie, head of the property conveyancing department at Seatons in Corby. We aim to provide our clients with an outstanding legal service.
We will help and support you and most importantly we work hard for you.