Planning Permission

Hello,  I am Jazz Kooner and I specialise in Property Conveyancing matters. If you are buying or selling a property then expert legal advice is a must.

If you want to extend or make alterations to your property, then it is likely that you will need to obtain Planning Permission.

Contact our Corby office on 01536 276300 or our Kettering office on 01536 311690 or click here to contact us online to discuss if you need planning permission.

Do I Need Planning Permission?

The easy and the best answer is to ask the planning officer at your local council. At the most basic level major works require planning permission but many minor works do not. The rules are very complicated. We can only give basic information and guidelines. You will need planning permission for the following areas:

1. House extensions or additions – Including conservatories, sun lounges, loft conversions, dormer windows and roof additions
2. Erect buildings and other structures on my land – On land around your home such as garages, garden sheds, greenhouses, and swimming pools you will require it.
3. Fences, walls and gates – If the house is a listed building or the fence wall or gate is over 1 metre high if next to a highway or 2 metres elsewhere you will require it.
4. Patios, pathways and driveways – No planning permission restrictions on the area to cover with hard surface. However restrictions apply if the surface is to be used for commercial or business purposes.
5. Satellite dishes and aerials – Normally no restrictions for aerials if for domestic use. However planning permission is usually needed for a satellite dish.
6. Demolition of a building – If it is over the size of 50 cubic metres.

Are There Any Special Rules For Flats And Maisonettes?

Special planning permission rules exist for flats and maisonettes. Any planned work should be referred to the planning authority for approval.

What Are The Exact Requirements?

It is best to approach the planning authority direct for this type of information. The requirements for each planning area are very complicated and precise. If you require specific help and advice about planning permission please use our services below.

What Are Permitted Development Rights?

You can make minor changes to your home without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called Permitted Development Rights. In parts of the country permitted development rights are more restricted. Sometimes planning authorities remove some permitted development rights by issuing an Article 4 Direction.

Article 4 Directions

These are made when the character of an area would be threatened, usually in conservation areas. It serves to restrict Permitted Development rights, which means that a lot of the things people do to their land or houses without planning permission and often take for granted, are brought into the realms of planning consent. It does not in itself prohibit any action but means that a landowner is required to seek planning consent whereas without the Direction this would not be necessary.

Do I Need Planning Permission For Listed Buildings?

If you live in a listed building you will require planning permission for any significant works whether internal or external.

Do I Have To Notify My Neighbors?

Let your neighbors know about your proposals and try and seek some general agreement to what you are proposing to do. Be wary of any planning permission works that might infringe onto your neighbor’s property or even on their right of light. You will of course need your neighbor’s say so if you need to go onto their property to carry out any of the work.

What Are Property Covenants And Do I Need To Comply With Them?

Covenants are restrictions in your title deeds that sometimes prevent you from carrying out certain works to your property even if  permission is acquired. You may need to obtain someone else’s permission to release you from the terms of the covenant before you carry out any of the proposed works.

It is essential that you get the formal written planning permission before you carry out any works. Bear in mind that the local planning authority does have the right to force you put things right and/or to remove an unauthorised works or buildings.

How To Apply For Planning Permission

Contact your local planning department. They will have information packs and forms that will explain what needs to be done to obtain planning permission. You will probably require drawings and full details of the proposed works. The planning officer will help but you may require professional help from local surveyors builders or architects.

Once your application has been submitted it will be placed onto a Planning Register so that the public can inspect it. Neighbours will be notified of the planning permission application and the planning permission application may be advertised in the local newspaper. The matter will then be referred to councillors to decide your application. The planning permission application will be granted, refused or granted subject to conditions. The matter should be decided upon within 8 weeks.

What If I’m Refused Planning Permission?

A planning permission application cannot be rejected just because some people may object to it. The planning permission proposal must be consistent with the development plan in the area. Potential traffic problems, the effect on the amenity, and the impact on the surrounding area are all important matters.

If you are not happy with any aspect of the planning permission decision, you can appeal to the Secretary of state for the Environment. There are various booklets and leaflets that can be obtained to help you with information about planning permission. Planning permission appeals can take several months to decide. You can also apply to the local Government Ombudsman if you are unhappy with the way the local authority has handled your matter.

If you need to speak to someone about this then please contact us and we will be pleased to help.

Latest Conveyancing Video
Gemma McKimmie – Property Conveyancing – Seatons Solicitors

Gemma McKimmie - Seatons Solicitors

Property Conveyancing

I’m Gemma McKimmie, head of the Conveyancing department at Seatons in Corby. We aim to provide our clients with an outstanding legal service.

We will help and support you and most importantly we work hard for you.

Please contact us for a free, no obligation chat at our Corby office on 01536 276300 or use our online enquiry form to discuss buying or selling a property.

Latest Articles About Property Conveyancing

Buying Property at Auction – Seek Legal Advice From a Property Solicitor

A failure to take legal advice cost a property buyer his £35,000 deposit as he fell foul of the time limits for the purchase. Purchasing property at auction can be legally hazardous as the following case shows.

Are You Thinking Of Buying a Holiday Home Abroad?

When buying holiday homes abroad, it is absolutely vital to employ solicitors who are entirely independent of the vendors.

High Court Ruling Underlines Relentless Demand for Urban Housing

Ever increasing demand for housing in urban areas means local authorities are reluctant to approve developments that entail the loss of even a small number of residential units.

Safeguards For First Time Buyers

The steady rise in property prices as well as the imposition of strict mortgage lending requirements has meant that getting on the property market is tougher than ever before.
Generic filters
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Search in excerpt
Search in comments
Filter by Custom Post Type
Why Use Seatons?
  • Practical sensible help and information
  • Fixed, competitive and affordable prices
  • We care about you and fight for you
  • Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
  • We can help resolve your issue quickly & easily