Carol O' Leary

Specialist Landlord Services In Corby & Kettering

My name is Carol O’ Leary. I am a lawyer who specialises in landlord and tenant legal services. We aim to provide our clients with an outstanding legal service.

We will help and support you and most importantly we work hard for you.

Please contact us for a free, no obligation chat at either our Corby office on 01536 276300 or our Kettering office on 01536 311690 or contact us online.

The tenancy deposit scheme was recently introduced to resolve landlord and tenant disputes in a more effective way. The dispute usually arises when a tenant leaves a property, but the landlord wishes to withhold part of the deposit, perhaps to pay for a repair.

Now the scheme has been introduced, the landlord must inform the tenant in to which Government approved scheme their deposit has been placed. The deposit is then placed with a third party which offers a resolution service should there be a dispute.

There is a strict legal framework that must be followed should a landlord wish to evict a tenant. Only Court appointed bailiffs may carry out a legal eviction but before that option is available the landlord must have served the correct notice on the tenants, and obtained a Possession Order through the Court.

Failure to comply with the legal process may result in an unlimited fine or up to 2 years in prison. The landlord can be liable for substantial compensation if the correct procedure is not followed.

A fixed term tenancy is created for a specific length of time. This is usually 6 months but can be for any time period. As an example, a tenancy agreement may run from 1st January to 30th June. If the tenants remain in the property after the 30th June, the tenancy agreement automatically becomes periodic.

The periodic tenancy rolls on a specific period, usually month by month basis.

Completing an inventory before a tenants moves into a property is vital. It provides great protection for the landlord should a dispute arise. It is advised for both the landlord and tenant to sign the inventory so the tenant cannot argue that the property was in a different state. It is the inventory that will form the benchmark should a dispute arise.

The general rule is that a tenant should never stop paying rent to force a landlord to complete repairs. The landlord can commence Court proceedings to recover the outstanding rent if this happens. The best procedure is to highlight the repairs to the landlord in writing, and should the landlord not respond, seek legal advice to see how to move forward.

Your landlord can only enter the property if they have provided the tenants with reasonable notice. This is usually 24 hours’ notice and the tenant has to agree to the landlord entering the property. There is the exception of an emergency, where the landlord does not have to provide any notice.

If a landlord enters a property without giving notice, it could be deemed as harassment by the Court.

It is advised to have a written tenancy agreement as this can then avoid disputes should they arise in the future. It is in the interests of both landlord and tenant to have a written tenancy agreement. If there is no written tenancy agreement, the tenant can request a minimum written statement detailing thing such as the start date of the tenancy and the rent.

The short answer is no. As detailed above, the landlord can only enter the property by serving notice and obtaining the tenants’ permission. Landlords will usually keep a key in case the tenant misplaces their or the property has been abandoned by the tenant.

By law, landlords have an obligation to repair and maintain the property whilst it is being rented and ensure it is fit for the tenants to live in. Generally, the landlord will be responsible for repairing the exterior and structure of the property including pipes, heating etc.

Tenants usually have liability for minor repairs, decorations, furnishing and maintaining the garden. However, if there is a dispute, the tenancy agreement should be consulted as it should provide clarity on the situation.

As a landlord, you should be 100% certain that the tenants have left the property. The best course of action would be to serve a notice at the property advising that if contact is not made in 4 weeks from the date of the notice, then the tenancy will be deemed terminated and possession of the property will be taken.

Another good tip to establish whether the tenants are still in the property is checking the contents of the fridge, or build-up of post. If the month passes and it is apparent that the tenants are living elsewhere without any written contact, then realistically you can proceed forward with changing the locks.

Latest Articles For Landlords

Licensing Houses in Multiple Occupation – Ignorance of the Law is No Defence

Landlords who fail to license houses in multiple occupation (HMOs) commit a serious criminal offence and can expect to be hit hard in the pocket.

Renting Out Your Home on Airbnb? Are You Sure You’re Entitled to Do So?

Tenants should take professional advice before renting out their homes to paying guests via Airbnb, Booking.com or other internet sites

Retailer Escapes Winding Up Petition in Unique COVID-19 Ruling

The COVID-19 crisis has heralded such an avalanche of emergency legislation that it cannot be passed into law quickly enough. In a unique insolvency case, the High Court blocked a commercial landlord from presenting a winding up petition against a high-street retailer.

Private Landlords – Leaving Everything Up to Letting Agents Has Its Risks!

Residential landlords who fail to meet their extensive legal obligations put themselves at risk of severe financial consequences and reliance on the advice of professional letting agents is no defence.

Why Use Seatons?

  • Practical sensible help and information
  • Fixed, competitive and affordable prices
  • We care about you and fight for you
  • Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
  • We can help resolve your issue quickly & easily

Free Legal Guide For LandlordsDownload our FREE guide for

Landlords Today

COVID-19 Information

We are OPEN and would like to reassure our client's that it is business as usual and as a firm we intend on supporting our clients through this difficult time. Please note: Clients are requested to wear face masks when attending our office(s). As a precautionary measure to limit the risk to everyone our preferred communication is by telephone and/or email and/or post. We may take a little longer to respond to enquiries and deal with matters. Please bear with us in these unprecedented times.