Initial Steps Following A Death
Need Help Administering an Estate?
There are a number of things you have to deal with whilst coming to terms with a loss.
Whilst this is by no means a comprehensive list, we hope this checklist will help you to make sure all the essentials are covered.
Please call us for a free initial no obligation chat on0800 3 10 11 12
Initial Steps Following a Death Checklist
There are a number of things you have to deal with whilst coming to terms with a loss. Whilst this is by no means a comprehensive list, we hope this checklist will help you to make sure that all the essentials are covered.
Register The Death
- Make an appointment with the local Registrar of births, deaths and marriages
- Collate together all the necessary information to give to the Registrar of births, deaths and marriages
- Attend the appointment to register the death
- Collect the Death Certificate
Arrange The Funeral
- Find a local firm of undertakers
- Arrange funeral/cremation/burial as directed
- Notify time, date and place to family and friends
- Make an announcement in the local newspaper
- Attend funeral
- Contact a local solicitor who specialises in Wills and Probate matters (such as Seatons).
The Deceased’s House If Vacant
- Remove valuables
- Keep heating on or drain water system
- Cancel deliveries e.g. milk, papers
- Redirect mail
- Lodge keys securely, not marked with address
- Confirm that property is insured and notify the household insurers
- Inform landlord if property vacant, if appropriate
The Deceased’s Car
- Inform insurers
- Transfer insurance if to be used by family
- Arrange for security if not to be used
The Deceased’s Pet(s)
- Arrange for welfare
Organisations To Be Informed
- Banks and Building Societies
- Investment and Insurance Policies
- Store Cards
- Credit Card Companies
- Hospital and/or family Doctor
- Social Services/District Nurses
- Employer or Professional Association
- Inland Revenue
- Department for Work & Pensions
- Car Insurance – Documents will have to be changed
- Gas, Electric, Water, Telephone and Cable Companies
- Post Office
Items To Be Returned
- Driving Licence
- Vehicle Registration Documents
- Car Insurance
- Television Licence
- Season Ticket and Club Membership Cards
- Library Books and Card
Items You May Need To Cancel
Milk, Newspapers, Lottery Ticket, Appointments, Meals on Wheels, Home Help, Chiropodist, Dentist, Eye Specialist, Hairdresser, Home Care, Gardener.
Call Us Now
Probate & Estate Specialists
I’m Adrian Chambers and specialise in Probate and Estate matters. We aim to provide our clients with an outstanding legal service.
We will help and support you and most importantly we work hard for you.
If you need help administering a loved one’s estate, please click here for further information.