Initial Steps Following A Death
Need Help Administering an Estate?
There are a number of things you have to deal with whilst coming to terms with a loss.
Whilst this is by no means a comprehensive list, we hope this checklist will help you to make sure all the essentials are covered.
Please call us for a free no obligation chat on 0800 3 10 11 12
There are a number of things you have to deal with whilst coming to terms with a loss. Whilst this is by no means a comprehensive list, we hope this checklist will help you to make sure that all the essentials are covered.
Register The Death
- Collect the Death Certificate
- Make an appointment with the local Registrar
- Collate together all the necessary information to give to the Registrar
- Attend the appointment to register the death
Arrange The Funeral
- Find a local firm of undertakers
- Arrange funeral/cremation/burial as directed
- Notify time, date and place to family
- Make an announcement in the local newspaper
- Attend funeral
Contact a local solicitor who specialises in Wills and Probate matters (such as Seatons).
The Deceased’s House If Vacant
- Remove valuables
- Keep heating on or drain water system
- Cancel deliveries e.g. milk, papers
- Redirect mail
- Lodge keys securely, not marked with address
- Confirm that property is insured and notify the household insurers
- Inform landlord if property vacant, if appropriate
The Deceased’s Car
- Inform insurers
- Transfer insurance if to be used by family
- Arrange for security if not to be used
The Deceased’s Pet(s)
- Arrange for welfare
Organisations To Be Informed
- Banks and Building Societies
- Investment and Insurance Policies
- Store Cards
- Credit Card Companies
- Hospital and/or family Doctor
- Social Services/District Nurses
- Employer or Professional Association
- Inland Revenue
- Department for Work & Pensions
- Car Insurance – Documents will have to be changed
- Gas, Electric, Water, Telephone and Cable Companies
- Post Office
Items To Be Returned
- Driving Licence
- Vehicle Registration Documents
- Car Insurance
- Television Licence
- Season Ticket and Club Membership Cards
- Library Books and Card
Items You May Need To Cancel
Milk, Newspapers, Lottery Ticket, Appointments, Meals on Wheels, Home Help, Chiropodist, Dentist, Eye Specialist, Hairdresser, Home Care, Gardener.
Probate & Estate Specialists
I’m Adrian Chambers and specialise in Probate and Estate matters. We aim to provide our clients with an outstanding legal service.
We will help and support you and most importantly we work hard for you.
If you need help administering a loved one’s estate, please click here for further information.
Please contact us for a free, no obligation chat on 01536 276300 or contact us online.