Letters Of Administration

If a close relative has died without leaving a Will and appointing an executor, a Grant of Letters of Administration will be required before

banks, Building Societies and other similar organisations hand over the deceased’s assets.

We can help you sort out the legal side of things quickly, easily and at low cost.

Please call us for a free no obligation chat on 0800 3 10 11 12

Welcome to our web page on Letters of Administration.  We hope you find this information of use.  We are a firm who specialise in dealing with probate and estate administration work.  At Seatons, we offer a helpful and friendly service with low fees that provide exceptional value for money.  Please call us today for a free, no-obligation internet chat or use our online enquiry form.

Letters Of Administration?

If a close relative has died without leaving a Will and appointing an executor, a Grant of Letters of Administration will be required before banks, Building Societies and other financial organisations will hand over the deceased’s assets. This guide will provide you with a brief overview of the application process to become an administrator, and the rights and responsibilities you will have therein.

What Is A Grant Of Letters Of Administration?

There are two main types of letters of administration:

  1. Grant of Letters of Administration – Letters of Administration are granted when the deceased died without a will, and the Grant acts as the authority for the administrator to act.
  2. Grant of Letters of Administration with Will – This Grant of Representation is appropriate where the deceased has made a will but has either failed to appoint an executor or all the executors named in the Will have died or are unable to act.

The person who administers the estate is called the administrator and their role is very similar to that of the executor. Typically, a Grant of Letters of Administration need only be obtained if the value of the Estate exceeds £5,000, as banks and other financial organisation will often allow accounts to be closed if they contain a small sum of money.

However, each financial institution sets its own limits so if you have to close a bank account you should ask them if they will require a Letter of Administration.

Who Can Apply?

The rules about who can become an administrator are very strict. If there is no valid will, the next-of-kin are eligible to apply in the following order of priority:

  1. Spouse/Civil Partner of deceased;
  2. Children of deceased;
  3. Grandchildren of deceased;
  4. Parent of deceased;
  5. Brother/Sister of deceased;
  6. Nephew or Niece of deceased;
  7. Any other relative.

It is important to note that unmarried couples or same-sex partners who have not registered a civil partnership will not usually be able to act as administrators unless they have been expressly appointed in a Will.

If there is a valid will, an application can be made for Letters of Administration with the will annexed, providing that:

  • The deceased left all of their estate to you in the Will, and
  • The executors have not been appointed, or are unable/unwilling to act.
How Do I Apply?

To obtain a Grant of Letters of Administration, the Court will normally require:-

  1. The Statement or Oath or PA1 application form, completed and signed by the Personal Representatives.
  2. An Inland Revenue Account (IHT 205 or 400).
  3. A receipted invoice from the Inland Revenue that any Inheritance Tax has been paid.
  4. Sometimes the will, if it is available.

There are also various forms to complete, some of which are quite lengthy to obtain a Grant of Letters of Administration. If a Personal Representative applies without using a Solicitor, they will need to obtain all the appropriate forms and then fully and accurately complete them. The Court will then want to interview the Personal Representative making the application for the Grant.

Once the Court is satisfied that the Grant application is all in order, it will issue an official Grant of Letters of Administration along with a number of sealed copies. Provided that there are no complications, the process to obtain Letters of Administration can be completed within 3-5 weeks. At Seatons, we can sort this out for you from start to finish.

For more questions on this area, contact us on 01536 276300 to arrange a free, no-obligation chat and receive a quote.

Please call us for a free no obligation chat about your estate and probate matter on 01536 276300 or 01536 311690 or use our online enquiry form.

Latest Probate & Estates Video
Adrian Chambers - Seatons Solicitors

Estate Administration Specialists

I’m Adrian Chambers and specialise in Estate Administration. We aim to provide our clients with an outstanding legal service.

We will help and support you and most importantly we work hard for you.

If you need help administering a loved one’s estate, please click here for further information.

For information about our costs on probate work please click here.

Please contact us for a free, no obligation chat on 01536 276300 or contact us online.

Probate & Estate Administration Podcasts
Latest Articles About Probate & Estate Matters

Aristocrats Daughter Refused Bigger Share of £1.3million Estate

Wills can and often are challenged by dependents who think they should have received more from an estate than they get and in this case bought before a court, a daughter thought she should have a larger share of her aristocrat father’s £1.3 million estate.

Want to Cut Inheritance Tax Liabilities? Contact Us Today!

Giving away assets to your loved ones with warm hands, when you are still fit and healthy, is a readily available means of reducing Inheritance Tax (IHT) liabilities.

Heir Hunter Faces A £250,000 Bill For Bad Behaviour

Heir hunters are a valuable resource to find beneficiaries of an estate if the person has died without leaving a Will. It should be remembered that these companies are not regulated...

Family Companies – It’s Never Too Soon to Start Estate Planning

Estate planning is essential when there is a family business to prevent tax problems in the untimely death of a shareholder as this following High Court case demonstrates.

Download our FREE guide to

Administering A Loved One’s Estate today

Free Downloadable Guide To Care Fee Funding

Download our FREE guide

for the over 60’s today

Download Our Free Guide For The Over 60s now