The Tell Us Once Service
Need Help Administering an Estate?
When a loved one dies it can be a difficult, emotional and stressful time.
We can help you sort out the legal side of things quickly, easily and at low cost.
Please call us for a free no obligation chat on 0800 3 10 11 12
The Tell Us Once service notifies relevant central and local government departments about the person who has died. Contact the Tell Us Once Service either over the telephone or online within 28 days of death. This service is voluntary and there are no fees to access or use the service.
How You Can Access The Service
You can access Tell Us Once by:
- Telephone – Ring the Department for Work and Pensions on 0800 085 7308 and quote your reference number, issued by the Registrar, to start the process;
- Online – Log on to Directgov bereavement website and follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process. You must have the reference number issued by the Registrar to access and use the online system.
Information You Will Need To Use The Service
In order to use Tell Us Once, you need to have with you the reference number, issued by the Registrar, and the following information about the person who has died:
- Their National Insurance number and date of birth;
- Details of any benefits or services they were receiving;
- Their death certificate;
- Their Driving Licence or Driving Licence number;
- Their Passport or Passport number and town/country of birth.
What Happens To The Information?
If you decide to use Tell Us Once, the death can be reported to the following services:
- Local Councils – Housing Benefit Office, Council Tax Benefit Office, Council Tax, Collection of payment for Council Services Council Housing, Libraries, Electoral Services, Blue Badges, Adult Services (Social Care for Adults), Children’s Services;
- Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) – Pension, Disability and Carers Services, Jobcentre Plus;
- HM Revenue and Customs – Child benefit, Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit, Personal Taxation;
- Identity and Passport Service;
- Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA);
- Ministry of Defence, Service Personnel and Veterans Agency – War Pensions Scheme.
Probate & Estate Specialists
I’m Adrian Chambers and specialise in Probate and Estate matters. We aim to provide our clients with an outstanding legal service.
We will help and support you and most importantly we work hard for you.
If you need help administering a loved one’s estate, please click here for further information.
For information about our costs on probate work please click here.
Please contact us for a free, no obligation chat on 01536 276300 or contact us online.