Landlord Failing To Do Repairs

Welcome to our page regarding landlords failing to do repairs to their property.

Here at Seatons, we can act for both landlords and tenants, and our team has a variety of experience and knowledge to ensure the best result for you with the minimum inconvenience.

It is common for damage to occur in a property that is not the fault of the tenant. For example, the heating being temperamental or the installed cooker not working. If your landlord is ignoring your requests for repair work to be done there are steps you can take to try and get the repairs done.

Your landlord is only responsible for repairs that they have been told about. You should put the request in writing stating what repair work needs doing and asking the landlord to contact you as soon as possible to arrange for the repair work to be carried out.

If your landlord does not respond, then you should contact the landlord again stating that this is the second request and enclose a copy of the first letter. In this second letter you should provide a time scale for the landlord to contact you, such as 48 hours. It is advisable to inform the landlord that the repairs not be carried out within a certain time frame that you will have to take further action.

You should gather evidence about the repairs that need doing. Keep a record of the repairs and the efforts you have taken to get the landlord to sort them. Evidence includes photographs, copies of correspondence, receipts for items other professional reports or bills if you have had to pay for the repairs to be done yourself.

If the landlord continues to ignore you, you should inform them in writing that you will have to contact your local environmental health department for them to carry out an inspection of the property.

You may argue that you shouldn’t pay the rent as the landlord is not carrying out the repairs. However, this is risky as you don’t have the right to withhold the rent. If you withhold the rent, even if the landlord is refusing to carry out repairs, the landlord may attempt to evict you.

The correct procedure for this is to arrange for the repairs to be done and then deduct the cost from your rent. However, you do still have the risk that the landlord could take action to evict you for non-payment of rent.

The last resort is to instruct a solicitor to take legal action against your landlord.  The matter could be taken to Court, and the Judge could order the landlord to carry out the necessary repair work and/or compensate you for the inconvenience caused.

If you require any further advice on this, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Contact us to have a no obligation chat at our Corby office on 01536 276300 or Kettering 01536 311690 or use our online enquiry form.

Information Video For Tenants
Carol O' Leary

Professional Tenant Services

My name is Carol O’ Leary. I am a lawyer who specialises in dealing with tenant issues.

We aim to provide our clients with an outstanding legal service. We will help and support you and most importantly we work hard for you.

Please contact us for a free, no obligation chat at either our Corby office on 01536 276300 or our Kettering office on 01536 311690 or contact us online.

Latest Articles For Tenants
Filter by Custom Post Type

Why use Seatons?

  • Practical sensible help and information
  • Fixed, competitive and affordable prices
  • We care about you and fight for you
  • Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
  • We can help resolve your issue quickly & easily